Can I Change My Child’s Name?

If a parent or guardian is requesting that the Court change the name of a minor child over the objection of one or both parents, the Court must make that determination using the same standard that it uses to determine parental rights, which is the best interests standard.

This typically means that the petitioning parent or guardian must show by substantial and competent evidence that it is in the best interest of the child (necessary for the child’s welfare).

mere allegations or allegations of the parents wishes that the child carry on a name is insignificant to court and will not be enough to establish it is required for the court to change the name of the child to meet the child’s best interests.

For more information call for a free consultation. 239-208-2203.

The Law office of Mary A. Cosmo

Free Consultation and Payment Plans Accepted


Office in Ft. Myers, Florida and Labelle, Florida

The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience. Outcome or results are not guaranteed. The information presented on this website is for advertising purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. An attorney-client relationship will not be established until we have confirmed our representation of your case in writing.