In some cases going cheap may end up costing you a lot more in the end. Sure you can purchase a packet of papers from an “online non-lawyer service” that advertises you get “all the documents you will ever need” for $60.00.

BUYER BEWARE-the same papers you are purchasing for $60.00, YOU CAN GET FOR FREE at the Florida Supreme Court’s Website at Plus, they have “simple” instructions. The same instructions that a Document Service can provide. THEY CANNOT PROVIDE LEGAL ADVICE!!!!



Let’s first look at the actual cost of filing your papers. In the 20th Circuit (Lee, Hendry, Glades, Collier, and Charlotte Counties), the Court filing fee for divorce is $408.00. If you have to serve the other party, add $10.00 for the Clerk’s Issuance of a Summons. Then, add the $40-50 fee that the Sheriff will charge you to have it served on the other party. Depending on your income and assets, you may be able to qualify for a fee waiver of some of the Court fees. Each County Clerk will have a form, ASK THE CLERK FOR A WAIVER FORM!

If you are still confused….Ask an Attorney for a FREE Consultation. There are attorneys that will work with you and help you through your difficult times.

Think about the Costs if you make a mistake in your paperwork…you could be waiving a right. Please seek the advice of an attorney BEFORE you decide to file. Divorce is already a difficult situation, do not make it worse.

For more information contact us at The Law Office of Mary A. Cosmo, Ft. Myers Attorney, practicing in Lee County.  We are now taking cases for civil litigation, small claims, family Law, and probate proceedings.  Call us today to see how affordable legal advise can be.

The Law Office of Mary A. Cosmo, 15050 Elderberry Lane, Suite 4-14, Ft. Myers Florida 33907.



Do you have Child Custody Issues?

Call for Free Consultation – Payment Plans Accepted

Divorce (contested or uncontested), Paternity, Visitation, Parenting Plans, Custody, Parental Responsibility, Child Support, Enforcement, Writ of Garnishment, Domestic Violence, and Department of Revenue Cases. We can Help! Low Affordable Flat Rates. Call for a Free consultation.

Learn more about Mary A. Cosmo, Esq., at

Please do not merely fill out a form if you do not understand the law. Seek the advice of a licensed attorney, who will explain your legal rights to you. Call me today at 239-208-2203

15050 Elderberry Law, Suite 4-14, Ft. Myers, Florida 33907 Office 239-208-2203

825 E Cowboy Way, LaBelle, Florida 33935 Office 863-764-9980

Can I modify Child Support?

Under Florida Statute 61.30(11)(c), “A parent’s failure to regularly exercise the time-sharing schedule set forth in the parenting plan, a court-ordered time-sharing schedule, or a time-sharing arrangement exercised by agreement of the parties not caused by the other parent which resulted in the adjustment of the amount of child support pursuant to subparagraph (a)10. or paragraph (b) shall be deemed a substantial change of circumstances for purposes of modifying the child support award… “

What is a Substantial Change in circumstances? Well, If one parent is not exercising their overnight schedule and they have a substantial timeshare credit calculated into their child support, you may be able to get addition support.

It is important to note that the failure to exercise timesharing cannot be the fault of the other parent refusing timesharing.

For more information about how to modify your child support contact us at The Law Office of Mary A. Cosmo at 15050 Elderberry Lane, Suite 4-14, Ft. Myers, Florida 33907, by phone at 239-208-2203.